Travelers to Follow: A Sweet Little Journey Around the World
Traveling to faraway lands with small children? The family behind Sweet Little Journey proves that it’s possible: Dalya Gershtein and Danny Yaroslavski are offering their daughters the world – in the most literal (and beautiful) sense of the word.
September 20, 2022
Life is a journey
From America to Asia and Europe: software developers and travel bloggers Dalya Gershtein and Danny Yaroslavski have been traveling with their daughters for five years. Mom Dalya reveals what makes family globetrotting so special.
The little globetrotter has been traveling the world with her family for five years now. © Dalya Gershtein
What’s changed for you since you started traveling with your children?
Our mindset and our expectations! It’s important to trust your gut and not just do something because it looks great on social media; every child is different. At the same time, it’s important for us to pass on our love of travel and curiosity about other cultures to our daughters.
As an expert: what are the three most important things to keep in mind?
First of all: don’t pack too much! The basics will suffice, even with children. Second of all, involve the little ones in the planning process. For our five-year-old, it makes a big difference to know what to expect and to have a say as well. It’s also important not to over plan, and to keep your expectations reasonable. We used to plan every minute of the day. As a family, we have a rough list of priorities, but we like to be spontaneous.
How do you choose your destinations?
We usually do a lot of research and decide according to the variety of things to do and places to see. Nature, wildlife, culture, food and good emergency healthcare are non-negotiable points on our list as well.
View this post on Instagram
Is there anything you miss while you’re on the road?
After a while, the girls miss their friends and teachers. We never really miss anything, but we’re always happy to be back home.
The tropical island chain Hawaii
The Aloha State is a popular destination for families. Its stunning beaches, lush nature and overall versatility didn’t just win over Dalya and Danny – it also captured the hearts of their daughters. The family enjoy going on jungle hikes to places like the Manoa waterfalls on O’ahu. Poke, the unofficial national dish, is on the daily menu – and if singing whales aren’t exciting enough for you, you can visit the volcanoes on Big Island.
The girls are already learning about the world's rich diversity at a young age. © Dalya Gershtein
- Whale watching: Beautiful families of humpback whales cavort around the entire archipela- go between December and May.
- Lahaina, Maui: Countless calm bays, sandy beaches and great restaurants are situated around the historic town of Lahaina.
- Snorkeling with turtles: The Hawaiian Honu, as the green sea turtles are called here, can be found in the waters around Maui.
- Waikiki, O'ahu: South of the capital, Honolulu, famous Waikiki Beach stretches for over two miles. It’s very popular with surfers.
Touring the USA in a camper van
During the pandemic, Dalya Gershtein and Danny Yaroslavski decided to explore their adopted country, the US, with their two children in a camper. From Colorado, they drove to Utah, Wyoming and Arizona to see the fabulous natural scenery. The breathtaking rock formations and canyons, which glow red and gold in the sun, took the family by storm – they are ideal for climbing tours, long hikes and taking pictures.
Natural wonder: the impressive and intense colors of the canyon are almost indescribable. © Dalya Gershtein
- Red Rocks, Wyoming: From Arches National Park to Canyonlands – these rocky landscapes are a sight to behold.
- Rafting in Moab, Utah: Adventurers leave the parks behind and embark on rafting tours down the Colorado River.
- Yellowstone National Park: In addition to geysers like Old Faithful, with a bit of luck you might encounter bears, bison and elk.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: The Snake River Valley in the Rocky Mountains is the ideal place for camping trips with children.
The natural beauty of the USA
There are countless national parks, great hiking trails and climbing spots around Dalya Gershteins and Danny Yaroslavski’s home base in Colorado. The state has become their playground: from climbing rock tubes in the canyons to crossing crystal clear rivers, there’s not a dull moment here. For more spontaneous trips, the family opt for campsites in the wild, as official ones often have to be reserved months in advance.
Under the stars: you can only get breathtaking views like these at night, far from civilization. © Dalya Gershtein
- Camping essentials: Small sleeping bags like the Morrison Outdoor and camping chairs for kids.
- Green Mountain Falls, Colorado: The area around the waterfalls is incredibly multifaceted – from the Cave of the Winds to Pike’s Peak.
- Crested Butte, Colorado: The “wildflower capital” attracts visitors in summer with its historic old town and wildly beautiful scenery.
- Moab, Utah: Must-see places include Arches National Park with the world’s highest number of natural arches, and Fisher Towers.
Fascinating diversity in Chile
A veritable land of extremes, Chile is home to the Atacama, the driest desert in the world. Venture through rock valleys, past salt lakes, the world’s highest geyser field and along blue lagoons full of pastel-pink flamingos. The Pacific coast has a variety of beaches, such as Viña del Mar (pictured); in Patagonia, the southernmost tip of the continent, visitors can admire stunning glaciers and peacefully grazing guanacos, which are related to llamas.
The family delights their followers with stunning shots of nature. © Dalya Gershtein
- Atacama Desert: Everyone should see the Valle de la Luna with its bizarre rock formations at least once in their lives.
- Concon Dunes: The breathtaking dunes between Concón and Reñaca are begging to be explored, especially at sunset.
- Hiking in Patagonia: From the flat and easy Fauna Trail to the moderate Mirador Cóndor, there are plenty of options for families.
- Hotel Salto Chico, Torres des Paine: The five-star hotel has a beautiful promenade with great views of lakes and mountains.
This article appeared in the Falstaff TRAVEL issue Summer 2022.