Pro Environment: Lufthansa Creates Ecological Travel Fares

Flying is considered the most environmentally damaging form of transportation. Lufthansa is working hard to reduce flight emissions. With that in mind, the airline now offers Green Fares.

February 23, 2023

© Shutterstock

Boarding an airplane may get you to your destination quickly, yet it's not exactly environmentally friendly. The good news is that the airline Lufthansa has been working towards achieving a CO2-neutral balance by 2050, and to this end is now selling 'Green Fares' - green airline tickets that are supposed to make sustainable flying possible with just one click.

Flying Green

The Green Fares essentially are new, fixed rates designed to guarantee the use of sustainable aviation fuels. It reduces CO2 emissions emitted by a flight by a full 20%. The remaining 80% will be offset by new fares, available in both business and economy class. The main goal is to support certified climate protection projects. Travelers receive forward to additional status miles and free rebooking options as well.

Grüne Flugtickets sollen fliegen umweltschonender machen.

© Shutterstock

The new, slightly more expensive fares have been available since February 15 of this year. More than 730,000 European and North African flights operated by Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Swiss, Edelweiss, Eurowings Discover and Air Dolomiti offer these fares. Harry Hohmeister, Executive Board member responsible for Global Markets and Network Management, explained the main goal of this initiative in Frankfurt in mid-February: The aim is to convince every 20th guest to book a Green Fare.

Pioneer Lufthansa

Lufthansa is the first airline group in Europe to actively pursue green paths with CO2 reduction targets. In addition to the planned climate neutrality by 2050, the Group wants to reduce net CO2 emissions (compared to 2019) by 50% by 2030. The airline fleet and flight operations are going to be modernized and optimized along the way. The use of sustainable aviation fuels is a key component of this plan. For years, Lufthansa has been committed to climate protection. That the airline is now implementing green airline tickets is a consequence of these actions.

Scroll to Top